Help Me Maintain OUR Website!!!!!!
by Bro. McDonald "Don" L. Burbidge, 32o, K.C.C.H.
Charles Shepheard built his tavern around 1720. During the 18th century in Charleston, the term tavern was used to describe any establishment that served a number of purposes for the town. The building site Charles Shepheard chose for his business was a lot at the corner of Broad and Church Streets located near the center of Charles-Town, as it was then called. It was a four-story oblong building (pictured at left), and its purpose, while commercial, was also to serve the community in a variety of ways.
Not only was Shepheard's a place to eat and drink but also a place to do business, hold public meetings, and write or receive mail. As one of the principal public houses of Charleston, it played an important part in the development of the city. It shared this honor with the Exchange Coffee House at Alexander Chisolm's on the Bay and Marshal's on the Bay "where gentlemen will have the Entertainment and Attendance usual in Coffee Houses abroad."
In 1734, a notice appeared in the South Carolina Gazette, a weekly journal printed in "Charles-Town." It announced tickets would go on sale for a play "The Orphan or the Unhappy Marriage" which was to be held at Shepheard’s Tavern at the intersection of Broad and Church Street on October 17th. This was the first season plays of any type were presented in Charleston.
Also, in the October 28, 1736, Gazette, the following paragraph appeared: "Last night a lodge of Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons, was held, for the first time, at Mr. Charles Shepheard's, Broad Street, when John Hammerton, Esq. Secretary and Receiver General for this province, was unanimously chosen Master, who was pleased to appoint Mr. Thomas Denne, Senior Warden, Mr. Tho. Harbin, Junior Warden, and Mr. James Gorden, Secretary."
Shepheard's Tavern burned down during a fire in 1740. After the ashes had cooled, it was rebuilt in the same spot using as many materials as could be saved from the original building. The following is a list of various information on the history of Shepheard's Tavern.
On May 31, 1801, Colonel John Mitchell and the Reverend Fredrick Dalcho opened "The Supreme Council of the 33d Degree for the United States of America." Dalcho had received the 33° from Colonel John Mitchell six days before the opening. John Mitchell was a native of Ireland and an officer of the American Army in the Revolutionary War. Frederick Dalcho, a native of England, was elected Grand Commander of the Council in 1816 and served as Assistant Rector of St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Charleston.
It is a bit strange that the first meeting took place on May 31, 1801, as this was a Sunday and not a day during the week when most Lodges would meet. When we trace the date of May 31 in history, we find it was the date of the ascension to the throne in 1740 of Fredrick the Great of Prussia (1712–1786). The day was celebrated each year by his subjects.
Dr. Dalcho, one of the founders, was the son of an officer in that monarch's army and must have been familiar from childhood with the observance of that anniversary. What was more natural than that he should suggest the date to his colleagues (if they did not already know of it) as a fitting occasion upon which to inaugurate the new Supreme Council? Since Frederick the Great was a Master Mason and a monarch famous throughout the world, what was more natural than that Dalcho's colleagues should agree? Some strong reason must have induced the inauguration of the Supreme Council on Sunday, and that reason, this author speculates, was the desire to render tribute to a famous man and Freemason.
In 1924, the Klinck, Wickenberg, and Company building (formerly Shepheard's Tavern) was torn down and a distinguished bank and office building erected in the same place. Throughout the years for various reasons, Freemasons and especially Scottish Rite Masons have asked for and obtained permission to attach tablets to the outside of the building. The owner of the building has always approved such requests. The following is a list of all the Masonic tablets now attached to the bank.
1, located on the corner of building at Broad and Church Street, reads:
Tablet 2, located at the corner on Church Street, has two plaques, one above
the other. The first plaque (pictured at right) reads:
Plaque two, located under plaque one, reads as follows:
Tablet 3, located on the back corner of the building, is a cornerstone. It
Whenever Freemasons, especially Scottish Rite Brothers, are near the corner of Church and Broad Streets in downtown Charleston, they owe it to themselves to visit this historic location. While walking around the neighborhood, visit St. Michael's and St. Philip's Church as the founding "Eleven Gentlemen of Charleston," the founders of the Supreme Council, did when they lived there in 1801.
Frederick Dalcho is buried at St. Michael's Church, and James Moultrie is buried at St. Philip's churchyard. If it weren't for the insight and determination of these two gentlemen and the other nine founders, Scottish Rite Freemasonry might not have flourished in Charleston. In 2001, Scottish Rite Freemasonry, S.J., will celebrate its 200th anniversary in Charleston, South Carolina.
[What is Freemasonry] [Leadership
Development] [Education] [Masonic
This site is not an official site of any recognized Masonic body in the United
States or elsewhere.
Last modified: March 22, 2014